Cat Smith

Working for Lancaster and Fleetwood

Cat on Facebook Cat on Twitter

Other sources of help

If you have a problem which isn’t the responsibility of central government, you may find that other people and organisations are better placed to provided you with advice.

For example if your concern is about local planning issues, these matters are dealt with by local councils, and so your local councillor is more likely to be directly involved in the decision making process, than I will be. If you are unsure of who your local councillors are, you can find out who they are and write to them via the website Write to Them. If you have spoken to your local councillor without success then I may be able to look into the matter for you.

There are some things my office cannot do, these include:

  • Give legal advice or interfere with ongoing legal proceedings
  • Offer consumer advice (such as the sale of faulty goods)
  • Offer debt advice or advice on financial services
  • Become involved in disputes with other individuals
  • Give immigration advice, although I can make enquiries with the Home Office on your behalf

There are also a number of excellent, expert local advice services that offer more in depth support than my office is able to:

  • Citizens Advice offers advice on solving a vast range of problems ranging from debt and employment, to housing and consumer issues and everything in between. Their website offers online advice to resolve frequently asked questions and they have local offices in both Lancaster (tel 0344 488 9662) and Fleetwood (tel 0344 245 1294)
  • Student Unions provide specialist advice particularly tailored to student issues, you can contact the Lancaster University Student Union on 01524 593 765, and the University of Cumbria Students' Union on 01524 590 810.

Other numbers you may find useful:

Blackpool Transport - 01253 37001
Lancashire County Council - 0300 123 6701
Lancaster City Council - 01524 582000
Stagecoach Cumbria and North Lancashire - 01228 400464
United Utilities (report a leak) - 0800 330 033
Wyre Borough Council - 01253 891000